Cuyamaca, Grossmont colleges mark Constitution Day with public events
Posted on: Sep 9, 2015 1:00:00 AM
In: District, Cuyamaca, Grossmont
Contact: Della Elliott 619-644-7690 firstname.lastname@example.org
In celebration of Constitution Day, both Grossmont and Cuyamaca colleges have set up events to herald a document that is the cornerstone of America’s legal system.
Constitution Day was officially established in 2004 with the designation of Sept. 17 as the day to commemorate the signing of the U.S. Constitution.
Cuyamaca College will celebrate Constitution Day with activities sponsored by student government leaders from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the Student Center quad:
- A Constitution trivia game
- A freedom of speech board where passers-by can write down thoughts on any topic that comes to mind.
- Constitution pocket guides giveaway
At Grossmont College, Constitution activities sponsored by the Associated Students of Grossmont College, Inc., Student Affairs and Financial Aid offices, political science professor Joseph Braunwarth, and the Grossmont College Political Economy Department include:
- A Constitution wall in the patio of Griffin Center (Building 60) for passers-by to post thoughts, questions, artwork, and comments on what the Constitution means to them.
- Braunwarth will give a lecture, “Black Lives Matter: Civil Rights and the U.S. Constitution,” from 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m. in Room 577 of Building 51.
- The San Diego chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution will be represented in period costumes from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Griffin Center patio. The society is dedicated to perpetuating American ideals and traditions, and to protecting the Constitution. Constitution Day, Flag Day and Bill of Rights Day were established through its efforts.
- A voter registration drive and student government information booth will be set up from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Griffin Center Patio, Building 60. Free pocket Constitutions will be given away while supplies last.
All events are free and open to the public. Cuyamaca College is at 900 Rancho San Diego Parkway in the community of Rancho San Diego. Grossmont College is at 8800 Grossmont College Drive in El Cajon.
The San Diego chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution will be represented in period costume at Grossmont College on Constitution Day.